$140,000 in Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games, legacy funds to go to community

Surrey BC – The Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games Board of Directors announced on Thursday (June 27th) that over $140,000 in surplus legacy funds will be distributed to support youth sport development opportunities in Surrey.

It was thanks to rigorous cost controls overseen by the Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games Society; the vital support of Corporate and Funding Partners; the success of the Friends of the Games sponsorship program; and the sale of licensed merchandise that this was made possible.

“What began with a small group of dedicated community leaders when the Games were announced grew to involve almost 3,000 Surrey residents over the course of 18 months,” said Mayor Dianne Watts. “These amazing volunteers not only provided 2,300 young athletes with the opportunity of a lifetime, but also showcased Surrey as home to a wonderfully committed and engaged community.”

“The BC Summer Games were truly embraced by the entire community of Surrey,” said Kelly Mann, President and CEO of the BC Games Society. “The leadership of the Board and support of partners ensured the legacies of these Games will benefit individuals and the community for years to come.”

The purpose of the Legacy Fund is to provide financial support to non-profit sport, recreation, and community organizations serving the City of Surrey and School District #36. In total, five organizations will benefit from the Legacy Funds with 75% earmarked for projects that will support the growth of sport in the community, and the remaining 25% will be directed to non-sport organizations. In addition to this surplus funding, the Games also left legacies in the community such as $60,000 in camera and computer equipment that was used during the Games by 29 Surrey high school students who served as official photographers during the Games period as well as many capital improvements and equipment upgrades completed by the City of Surrey in the period leading up to the Summer Games.

“Participation in sport is so important to the health, confidence and social development of children and youth,” noted Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games Society President and Co-Chair Bill McNamara. “We are very pleased to be able to contribute these Legacy Funds to support sport in our City.”

“The Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games was a huge community success story and we are stronger today for having successfully staged these Games for the youth of our province,” said Councillor Linda Hepner, Co-Chair of the Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games."

Read more in the attached PDF below.

Posted On: June 28, 2013
View Original PDF: 2012 BC Summer Games Legacy Funds